Sunday, October 17, 2010

It's NOT about me!!!!

As I was driving down the road today I made a few observations, most I am sure took place prior to the elderly woman pulling out in front of me!!! And then she went less than a quarter mile and turned off unto a side street. Yep you guessed, white hair, couldn't see over the steering wheel and was driving a cadillac!

Remember I am 61, so I am not dis'ing the elderly. I just think that in order to drive a few things need to be in proper working order. I've listed a few in no particular order. Eyesight; hearing; ability to gauge distance and determine if you really have enough room to make the turn; and the height to see over the steering wheel. If you eyes are sensitive to sunlight, then maybe driving at high noon is not a good choice. Oh yeah, one other thing I just thought of, if you are going to pull out, damn it, know where the gas pedal is!!!!!!

Okay, on to the title at hand. No it's not about me and thank God it isn't. No matter where you are today everyone about you feels its all about them. Rules and common courtesies only apply to those that know them. The other day I am in the local bank drive-in window line. Two vehicles at the two open windows, no one else in the lot. So I pull in and hang back, figuring to go to whatever window opens first. In comes a little convertible sports car. Sorry, but this time it really was a woman driver! She slows, then pulls around me and drives up behind one of the cars at the window. Now my immediate response was, "yep you're right lady, I'm just sitting here passing time." The I thought out loud, said a few choice adverbs and adjectives, you may refer to them as expletives!

Then I came to my senses, silly me, it's all about her!

People today are just too caught up in their only little world and when things don't go their way they throw a tantrum. It's okay for them to cut lines, disregard rules, and basically to do whatever it is they want to do, because afterall, "it's all about them."

One day this world is going to wake up and realize that we are all in this together and that playing fair and by the rules makes it so much more enjoyable.

For me, theres more of my life behind me than there is in front of me, so I am going to continue to try to live it right. Someone once wrote, "when on your death bed and looking back upon your life, you are not going to think about the things you did, rather you'll think about the things you didn't do." I am hoping that list for me is short, afterall "it's really not about me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment